1826 - 1903
||Lt. General |
||22 Jun 1826
||Kingston, JAMAICA 
||14 Dec 1833
||Kingston Parish Church, JAMAICA 
||30 Jan 1903
||Knell wood, Farnborough, Hampshire, ENGLAND 
||Farnborough Cemetery, Farnborough, Hampshire, ENGLAND 
||Hoseason of Aywick
||23 Apr 2008 13:35:22 |
||Edward Nathaniel BANCROFT, b. 16 May 1772, Marylebone, London, ENGLAND |
||Ursula Hill HOSEASON, b. 05 Oct 1788, St. Catherine, JAMAICA |
||Eliza MILLER |
- William was in the British Army. He was appointed Major-General on 3rd April 1883, and Lieut.-General on 31st December 1887. He retired as a full General in 1896. Was, inter alia, Madeline Vidal's godfather and left her £2000 pounds. Grant of Administration: 5 May 1903, London, England 26. Effects: £6282 14s 1d Resworn: £7036-14-3.
Report of death, Feb 1903, London, England. The Times reported William's death as follows: The Colonelcy of the Bedford Regt. is vacant by the death on Friday evening at the age of 76 at his residence Knellwood, Farnborough of Lieut. General W. C. Bancroft. He entered the army as an ensign in the 3rd West India Regt.& being transferred to the 16th Foot (now the Bedfordshire Regt.) in 1850, served with that Regt. for many years. He reached the rank of Colonel in August 1872 and that of Major General in April 1883. He was placed on the retired list on December 31st 1887 & since May 1900 had been Colonel of the Bedfordshire Regt.
- [S00031] Richard J Green, "House of Green"
- [S00036] The Bancroft Family, Unknown, Page 80
- [S00037] The Times, (London), February 2, 1903 - Deaths
BANCROFT On the 30th Jan., at his residence, Lieutenant-General W. C. BANCROFT, of Knellwood, Farnborough, Hants. Colonel of the Bedfordshire Regt.
- [S00036] The Bancroft Family, Unknown, Page 92
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, Copyright © 2001-2007, created by Darrin Lythgoe, Sandy, Utah. All rights reserved.